Today nearly any business can provide outstanding customer service with the numerous tools available on the market. Help desk helps in managing the messy and nonlinear processes, so your support specialists get customers’ requests and fix them as soon as they can. Besides, customers are aware of the status of their ticket and support agents pay more personal attention to complicated issues.
The support service automation with multiple and changeable workflow rules (including ticket routing) gives your agents to do more while devoting fewer efforts and time. Think that’s too ideal environment? To some extent, it is so. You should run your service on help desk (not spreadsheets) and set up the corresponding options to automate everything properly to business and support team demands.
Once the customer service has gone bad
Dealing with the huge volume of tickets, you should manage to assign them to the right support agents or even other departments (if that action is required.) In that way, you will meet SLA and leave customers satisfied.
Manual ticket routing and reassigning is a slow, ineffective and error-prone tactic. However, some companies still do this manually and waste a lot of time on ticket distribution instead of resolving customers’ issues.
Often there are three types of delays:
- A holdup of the assignment then a ticket can make a long way inside the support team before it gets to the right person to fix the request.
- Another nasty situation can happen when a support agent understand that can’t resolve a ticket, but doesn’t care to reassign it to another agent.
- In case, a ticket assigned to the support team instead of another team, the resolution will suffer another exacerbating delay.
Definitely, the customer won’t be wowed by such service quality, and you at the same time miss your service goals. Here is where automated ticket routing solves the assignment phase and creates “wow” customer service moments.
What is a ticket routing?
To talk a bit more about automation, and precisely about routing tickets - this option turns out to be very useful. Why? The ideal support specialist can solve any problem, but in real life, this agent will a Jack of all trades and master of none. And for exceptional service, you can assign tickets with product or service questions to one support manager, setting up issues to another support manager, and marketing or sales requests to the corresponding departments. The team works quickly, customers are happy. But what does it mean - ticket routing? Let’s figure out.
Every system has administrative settings, and once ticket created, it can be routed to selected departments or assigned to a team or an individual support manager. Also, tickets can be left unassigned. Such tickets may be assigned manually, by claiming or by responding.
If you set up particular automation rules, the tickets can be assigned by topic, tag, country code, language or other ticket filters. These filters apply configurable rules to match some information from ticket details. Once the ticket goes with a few filter options, it may be rejected, routed to another department, team or agent, set the priority or SLA as well as get a canned response.
Enlisting ticket routing rules
Automation of some actions drives a part of your routine on autopilot and leaves time to handle more critical tasks. As well automated ticket routing is a kind of a life-saver. You can set particular rules and use ticket category, priority, tags for assigning tickets to a team, support agent or another employee with the necessary knowledge. All this works great if the sufficient data collected. Otherwise, the ticket might be assigned to the wrong team or manager.
The rules for routing ticket vary, and here are a couple of automation ideas you can apply to your performance.
- Category based routing. If your help desk supports the option that allows customers to choose a category, grab this advantage and exclude a manual ticket routing. Set up rules for assigning the ticket to a particular support manager for every category inside your company.
- Top priority. Let's say you have many C-level customers, which means - no time to decide where each ticket will go. Create a rule that CEO requests are critical and assign all requests of this type to a support agent to handle them.
- Location and department routing. Your customers come from all over the world and the time zones and languages differ. Save time and set rules that will assign tickets to particular agents who will be responsible for resolving issues from a specific time zone or language.
- Keyword-based routing This type of automation allows you to send a ticket to a support agent who has some skill or knowledge in a narrow area. For instance, there is a number of tickets about the payment. Create a rule to route any ticket with a word “payment” to the service manager who specializes in this question.
A skill-based routing strategy
A customer-focused help desk always leaves the place for customizations. You can use this option to apply a skill-based routing and match the customers’ requests to the most suitable and qualified support manager. The benefit of this strategy gives you:
- more focused agents who deal with ticket solving rather than rerouting them to other managers. Apart from productivity increase, you receive faster first time response and satisfied customers,
- streamlined workflows as the tickets assigned to the customer service specialists with a particular skills set, and
- spare budget and time on resolving the complex tickets.
Help desks with ticket automation
Dozens of help desks are trying to win the ballgame and get more customers. They offer helpful and efficient features for various businesses and industries. If you consider a solution with ticket routing, check up the following:
Freshdesk allows to set up business rules for categorization and direction of incoming tickets. Everything is automated, no need to do it manually.
Samanage comes with the automation of ticket routing, approvals, alerts and more. The solution helps to automate routine and build business rules on your own.
Help Scout also enhance the productivity with the workflows for conditions, operation, and actions. It as well automates the ticket assignment, sends follow-ups to customers and alerts to service agents.
Zendesk is another help desk that ensures that your tickets are assigned and routed to the right service managers, and nothing got in cracks.
What are the perks of ticket routing? Support service agents spend more time resolving customer issues. The escalation is minimized, and managers answer the questions faster as they get tickets assigned by a category, a tag, a location, a language, a keyword or some other criterion. All that significantly improve the quality of customer service and wows your clients.