HubSpot Service Hub Data Migration Checklist
The success of your data migration heavily depends on a reliable third-party service. But what can help you even better is a detailed checklist, exclusive to HubSpot Service Hub.
Before we proceed further, check out what data our tool can't migrate to HubSpot Service Hub:
- Inline Images
- Audit fields (however, it can be migrated during customized migration free of charge)
- Knowledge Base Data – here you can use the pre-build HubSpot Importer
- Tags can be imported in a custom text field
- CC in Tickets
BEFORE YOU SET UP THE MIGRATION
When it comes to data migration, thorough preparation is the key to success. Go through the checklist to prepare for data migration.
1. PICK YOUR CUT-OFF DATE
Start data migration when your team has a minor workload.
2. INFORM YOUR SUPPORT TEAM
Tell your agents about the switch to HubSpot Service Hub. Delegate some resposibilities if needed. And send a reminder about data migration to all your employees before the process itself.
3. PREPARE HUBSPOT FOR MIGRATION
Before the migration starts, prepare HubSpot to receive the data successfully. Pay attention to the following:
1) Create corresponding custom fields. Be sure to recreate the identical types of custom fields to the ones you currently have:
Go to Settings > Properties > Select properties type > Create property.
2) Add agents. This way, our migration tool can assign the tickets to appropriate users. Note that HubSpot Service Hub allows you to specify the level of access you will give to your users.
To add an agent, go to Settings > Users and Teams > Create user.
3) Сustomize your HubSpot Home page. Choose what fields (both default and custom) you will see on your records and rearrange their order to make them look like what you’ve used to have on your old help desk.
To do so, go to Settings > Properties > Records customization > Actions > Edit.
4. LEARN ABOUT DIFFERENCES
Before the Full Data Migration to HubSpot, you should know that:
- You cannot migrate CC users. But, you can import emails of CC users into a custom field instead. The same works for Audit fields and Tags.
- HubSpot Service Hub stores ticket data in the Service module. You can find it under the sub-menu ‘Tickets’. All ticket-connected history is also stored there, making it accessible for different teams.
- The ticket ‘Created at’ date will obtain the migration date, however, the dates of conversations and notes will migrate in a correct way (with the same dates as on the old help desk). As a result, you can't sort tickets by date in HubSpot Service Hub.
- Attachments will migrate as ‘Hidden’.
- Create a custom field with the type ‘Date’ to migrate the dates of creation. Also, you can migrate tags into a custom text field.
Check if you have admin rights to your accounts in the source platform and HubSpot Service Hub.
- Migrate inline images as attachments
- Account custom fields (the price depends on the number of fields)
- Contact custom fields (the price depends on the number of fields)
- Data filtering by different criteria (creation date, tags, custom fields, groups, organizations, assignees)
If you have any specific requirements for data migration, contact our support team.
YOU’RE ALMOST READY
1. TURN OFF INTEGRATIONS
Avoid a messy data migration by turning the integrations off before and during the transfer. To disable them in HubSpot, do the following:
Go to Settings → Integrations → Connected apps.
2. TURN OFF THE AUTOMATIC ASSOCIATION OF CONTACTS AND COMPANIES
Disable Automatic association of contacts and companies before data migration. This way, you avoid duplicates.
Go to Settings > Contacts & Companies> Companies > Companies > Automatically create and associate companies with contacts and switch off the toggle.
3. TURN OFF TICKET STATUS AUTOMATIONS BEFORE THE MIGRATION TO HUBSPOT SERVICE HUB
HubSpot Service Hub includes several automations that can update the statuses of all tickets to “Waiting on contact” if it’s turned on. If you want to keep the original ticket status when migrating from your source platform to HubSpot, disable automations before the data migration.
To disable triggers “An email is sent to a customer” and “A customer replies to an email”, read on a detailed guide.
4. FIND ACCESS CREDENTIALS
When launching a Free Demo, you need access credentials to the source platform and HubSpot Service Hub.
You need to undergo OAuth authentication to connect HubSpot Service Hub with our tool.
5. RUN A DEMO
Instead of jumping right into Full Data Migration, we offer a demo transfer, which is probably one of the essential steps. In short, our tool transfers 20 random tickets from your old help desk to HubSpot Service Hub during the trial. Repeat the process as many times as you need.
- Sign in to your Migration Wizard or create an account.
- Connect your source and target solutions.
- Choose the data you want to import.
- Match agents.
- Map tickets and articles route.
- Pick up automated options.
- Start your Free Demo Migration.
AFTER THE DEMO MIGRATION
1. CHECK THE RESULTS IN HUBSPOT SERVICE HUB
Once your Free Demo Migration is complete, check out a table with four different columns or records:
- all available records
- migrated records
- failed records
- skipped records
Download reports on migrated, failed, and skipped records to check the results. As you look through migrated data, pay special attention to:
- All Tickets along with their Type, Status, Priority, Source, and Custom fields
- Agent assignment
- Audit fields and Tags (if you had a customized demo)
- Whether any automations took action and email notifications got sent
If you need more detailed information, read a guide, explicit HubSpot Service Hub.
2. REQUEST A CUSTOM DEMO
If you have some tickets with more replies, attachments, or notes than your usual ones and want to see how they migrate over to HubSpot Service Hub, request a custom demo - we’ll transfer the specific ticket IDs that you want. Contact our team beforehand to discuss all the details.
DURING THE FULL DATA MIGRATION
1. CHOOSE MIGRATION FLOW TYPE
If you need to use one of your help desks, consider your options:
- Use a source help desk during the Full Data Migration. However, our tool doesn't migrate any data updated or created during the transfer. To import these records, run a Delta Migration.
- Work with a target help desk.
As the Full Data Migration runs on the cloud, check it from time to time or wait for our team to contact you.
2. DON’T MAKE ANY LAST-MINUTE CHANGES
Any changes can cause your Full Data Migration to fail. If you see duplicated or unnecessary records on the source solution, don’t do anything. Audit data on HubSpot Service Hub after the data migration.
3. START FULL DATA MIGRATION
Your Full Data Migration starts only begins when:
- The payment has been confirmed. Pay in advance, especially if you have a definitive time you want to start at. Or schedule the migration to run automatedly based on that timing.
- You've agreed to the provided checklist. Go through each point, and check the corresponding box.
AFTER THE FULL DATA MIGRATION
1. TAKE A DETAILED LOOK
Right after the Full Data Migration, inspect if everything migrated correctly. You have five days to check the results until your data migration gets archived.
If you can’t locate something:
- Check if search filters are set for all tickets and any time period.
- If the problem still remains, drop a line to our support team.
2. SET UP
Now, you can use HubSpot Service Hub to create and solve tickets, manage a business, and more. However, first, enable all the notifications, and set the necessary settings that you disabled during the previous steps.