How to Get Intercom API access token (+Video)
In the past, you needed an Intercom API access token to connect your platform with a third-party app like Help Desk Migration service. However, Intercom does not support API tokens anymore. Instead, you need to use open Authorization (OAuth).
How to Undergo OAuth Authorization
OAuth lets you choose a specific Workspace on your account where to import all tickets and articles.
Here’s how to connect your Intercom account with OAuth.*
1. Press on Sign in with Intercom.
2. In a new page, fill in your work email and password. Then click on Sign in.
Note: Use the access credentials valid to the Intercom account where you want to transfer your data.
3. Pick up a specific Workspace where you want to import or export your help desk data.
If you got more than one Workspace available, open a drop-down and choose the needed one.
4. Check out what permissions you will grant to Data Migration. Open up each type:
- teams and teammates
- workspace counts
- data attributes
The list includes permissions to write and read the data. And they vary depending on the data type.
5. When you’ve checked permissions, press on Authorize access.
*Note: The OAuth process is the same whether Intercom is your Source or Target platform.
How to create a Personal Access Token
In case you still require a Personal Access Token for your private integrations and apps, we’ll tell you how you can find it.
Intercom provides a separate Access Token when you create an app on your workspace. So, first of all, to get the Access token, you have to create an app in your workspace in Developer Hub:
1. Log into your account in the Intercom Developer Hub and go to Your apps section.
2. Click on New App button.
3. Name your app, select the workspace to add it to, and pick the Internal integration option. Then click on Create app.
4. Now that your app is created, click on the app to open its info section.
5. Select Configure and then Authentication.
6. You will see your Private Access Token under the name of the Workspace you added your app to. Now, you will be able to copy it and go on with your data migration.