How to Migrate Data from a CSV file
To import your data, you will need to provide three files that contain Tickets, Comments, and Knowledge Base articles. Each file should be formed and uploaded separately. In this article, you will find guidelines for migrating your data from CSV.
CSV file requirements
First and foremost, each file must possess a heading row with a summary column. The heading row is necessary to identify and map data objects. The header row should:
- Avoid any punctuation (apart from commas separating the columns).
- Be written in English (the language of the content in the second and other rows does not matter).
- Have each column begin with a capital letter.
Additionally, you should also consider the following:
- The size of each file should not exceed 1 GB.
- Fields should be separated by commas.
- Use double-quote marks (") to capture data that spans multiple lines. Typically used for tags, attachments, and descriptions.
- To attach files you need to provide a URL following which our service will be able to access the attachment. You may add multiple attachments. To do this, separate them by commas and quote the values in the field. Note that URLs for attachments support both HTTP and HTTPS protocols.
Preparing the file with Tickets (download sample)
To import tickets to the help desk of your choice, you should have a CSV file which contains a heading row with the following columns:
|Tags||"tag 1, tag 2"||Optional|
Importing custom fields
To migrate custom fields you need to add tags to field values so that the Migration Wizard could identify them as such. Here are the tags you need to use:
_select- dropdown (e.g.
_date- time (e.g.
_integer- number (e.g.
You can migrate and map other custom fields as text fields using the
Preparing the file with ticket comments (download sample)
Your CSV file with ticket comments should possess a heading row with the following columns:
You should gather all ticket comments in one file. For tickets that have multiple comments, the formatting should look like this:
Preparing the file with knowledge base articles (download sample)
To import knowledge base articles, provide a CSV file that contains a heading row with the following columns:
|Title||Creating discount codes||Required|
|Folder||Offering discounts and setting sale prices||Required|
|Description||"The body of the article"||Required|
- The body of the article can contain HTML formatting if you need to keep it.
- Article statuses can differ. We accept all statuses, just make sure to map them when configuring your migration.
- Your CSV file cannot contain folders with identical names, even if they belong to different categories. Rename such folders to be able to import them
Importing your CSV files
Once your CSV files have been prepared, log into Help Desk Migration and start the import process.