How to Migrate Data from a CSV file? [+Video]
To import your data, provide three files that contain
- Knowledge Base articles
Create each file separately and then upload them to the Wizard. Make sure your CSV file corresponds to our requirements. Check the guidelines for migrating data from CSV below.
CSV file requirements
Each file must possess a heading row with a summary column. The heading row is necessary to identify and map data objects.
- The header row has no punctuation (apart from commas separating the columns).
- The header row is in English (the language of the content in the second and other rows might be in any other language).
- The header shouldn't include identical names. Be sure to double check this aspect.
- All columns in the header row begin with a capital letter.
Pay attention to the following aspects:
- Fields are separated by commas.
- Use double-quote marks (") to capture data that spans multiple lines. Typically used for tags, attachments, and descriptions.
- To attach files you need to provide a URL following which our service can access the attachment. You may add multiple attachments - separate them by commas and quote the values in the field. Note that URLs for attachments support both HTTP and HTTPS protocols.
Preparing the file with Tickets (download sample)
To import tickets, prepare a CSV file which contains a heading row with the following columns:
|Tags||"tag 1, tag 2"||Optional|
Double-check the following things:
- You can specify your time zone in the format 2021-09-07Т15:17:07+03:00.
- If you don’t fill in your time zone, the time zone +3 sets up automatedly during the data migration.
Importing custom fields
To migrate custom fields, add tags to field values so that the Migration Wizard could identify them. Here are the tags you need to use:
_select- dropdown (e.g.
_date- time (e.g.
_integer- number (e.g.
Migrate and map other custom fields as text fields using the
Preparing the file with ticket comments (download sample)
Ensure your CSV file with ticket comments possesses a heading row with the following columns:
You can only submit one file with comments. Make sure to collect all ticket comments in that file.
Check the following aspects:
- You can set up your time zone in the format 2021-09-07Т15:17:07+03:00.
- During the CSV import, the time zone +3 sets up if you don’t provide your own one.
What to do with tickets that have more than one comment
Make sure that comments from the same ticket have the same TicketId, then the Migration Wizard identifies where they belong. Double-check the CommentId set in the corresponding order. Look at the example below:
Preparing the file with knowledge base articles (download sample)
To import knowledge base articles, provide a CSV file that contains a heading row with the following columns:
|Title||Creating discount codes||Required|
|Folder||Offering discounts and setting sale prices||Required|
|Description||"The body of the article"||Required|
- The body of the article can contain HTML formatting.
- Article statuses can differ. We accept all statuses, just make sure to map them when configuring your migration.
- Your CSV file cannot contain folders with identical names, even if they belong to different categories. Rename such folders to import them.
Importing your CSV files
When your CSV files are ready, log into Help Desk Migration and start your CSV import.